Recipes & Ingredients
Automatically track every ingredient and control recipes with SI
- Control costs and profit margins
- Manage recipes, ingredient and BOM information
- See how products can be made, even when some ingredients aren’t available.
- Manage both reduction specification products and combination/recipe products.
- Control ingredients’ tolerances and WIP stock lists, even when production is already underway.
- Create works orders to make blends and WIP batches.
- Scan and issues batches of ingredients/raw materials, on the shop floor, to works orders.
- Verify that operators are adding the correct quantities (via scale link), at the right time, for the right product codes.
- Track WIP stock in real-time
- Tracked everything; from raw materials, costs, WIP through to finished goods, labelling and packaging.
- Track short list WIP stock that’s being processed using recipes and that needs to be used with 24 hours.
Reconcile recipe allocated stock and ingredients in real-time
Typically, the recipe management process involves multiple ingredients that food manufacturers will allocate stock from batches into any number of recipes. Of course, some of these recipes will only require part of a batch of a specific ingredient.
One of the main problems encountered with recipe-based production relates to reconciling the batches and ingredients stock levels. It’s standard ERP practice within the food industry to calculate remaining ingredients held in stock, by backflushing from the finished goods that have been produced to down date raw materials, using a ‘Bill of Materials’ conversion.
These calculations are based on a standard of what has been used, rather than an actual calculated/issued amount. This in-turn creates issues with:
- stock quantities and batch control
- re-ordering of the raw ingredients, especially for those that are perishable.
“Automated recipe control for each product, integrating software and hardware, ensures correct quantities of product are scanned, issued and exactly weighed out.”
Using SI recipe management software and complementary food software modules, these issues are resolved.
- Record all information by batch, including weights
- Automate recipe control, integrating software and hardware,
- Ensure correct amounts of product are scanned, weighed out and issued for each different product
- Precisely understand how much raw material is being used and what it produces
- Deliver actual mass balances for each batch, complete with the required traceability data.
By then linking this information to a centralised outer case and/or retail pack labelling system, you could complete an automated process that has no manual inputs required, reducing errors and speeding up the whole operation.
And, of course, SI’s recipe management software provides complete visibility and flexibility required every day for complete recipe control management.
To find out more about our recipe management software, food ERP and complementary modules: