OCM and labelling
100% accuracy in labelling achieved
SI’s Outer Case Markers (OCM) for food manufacturing and OCM label design software has been widely implemented at our customer sites, across every relevant process point.
SI’s OCM and labelling application runs on a touchscreen, usually mounted within an OCM frame, with attached scale and printer/printers.
How our OCM works
- Select planned production run number. The OCM automatically uploads hotkeys for all the products within the plan.
- Select a product within the run and the OCM displays the target production quantity. Minimum and maximum weights can also be set for each product.
- As the run progresses, the OCM displays what’s been produced and what’s outstanding.
- The OCM also shows whether the run is on track and can even prevent over production.
Managing fixed weight giveaway
Products can be set up as either fixed weight or catch weight. For fixed weight, the OCM captures the weight and monitors the fixed weight giveaway in real-time.
As products are weighed on the scale, there are two label print options. Either manually press the print button or select auto print for a run of the same product. The OCM prints a label every time it identifies a steady weight.
Based on the planned requirements and the product settings, the OCM screen automatically populates with the correct dates and format for the label. Another feature, using SI’s label formatting software, is that every product can have its own label format and design, including branded formats.
Our label design software provides:
- Label design formats, according to standard sizes and specific customer dimensions.
- A detailed library set of standard labels.
- Simple text and detailed labels.
- Dynamic calculated formulaic variables.
- Barcodes for multiple symbologies.
- Other barcodes formats, such as 1D and 2D/data matrix, which can store greater detail.
- Code signatures, whenever labels are produced.
“SI’s software manages our range of Weigh Price labellers and Outer Case Markers (OCM) labelling systems. The result is 100% consistency in label design and integrity across all 15 production lines.” Faccenda Foods
SI label design software accommodates a wide range of barcodes, including code 1 to 28, EAM 128, code 39 and GS1 barcodes. It also caters for GS1 logistics labelling requirements that are typically used by the larger retailers
Our label design software includes a comprehensive library of standard labels, for every different type of transaction, including labels produced for goods received upon intake, IP booking labels for production in process and OCM labels.
Our food processing OCMs manage more than just labels.
Based on the yield, SI’s OCMs also manage the calculations to ensure batches are correctly changed. Whether you need to track by delivery or relatively small batches, the OCM monitors the batch prevents automatic overbooking and booking against the wrong production run. If a better yield has been achieved, a manual override can be made and recorded.
With these checks and balances in place, booking to production will always be done right the first time and, for auditing, traceability data will be both robust and accurate.
“The software managed date and batch coding, negating the need for operator input and reducing risk of human error. It also controls over and under production of individual SKUs to reduce processing waste.” Faccenda Foods
SI developed Phrase Manager in response to the many legislative requirements for the inclusion of allergen and nutritional information on labelling. With centralised data, the software is easy to maintain and update.
Within Phrase Manager, you can specify:
- By product level, food processors can specify their own list of nutrient and allergen information.
- Details on saturated fats and protein.
- Label print details, including bold type, italic type, or different typefaces within a whole block of text.
All labelling data is centrally managed and automatically distributed to all the various touchscreens and data capture points that print labels within our Food ERP system.
Whenever a label is generated, our software will look to Phrase Manager for the product code. This will then label variables and collate all information for the label print.
Another feature within SI’s OCM software is palletisation. This option is ideal when pallets are built close to the OCM station.
At the end of the process, all products are booked into stock in real-time.
To find out more about SI’s OCMs, OCM software, and our wide range of food processing software:Contact us