Trawler Catch Payments
For fish processors that handle payment of Government fees on behalf of skippers, then charge fees back to them, SI has developed unique software to capture all this detail as part of the payments process.
Handling payments bought directly from skippers
For many fish processors, their biggest payments challenge is whenever shipments are directly bought off the back of the boats and trawlers. Each container will comprise a mix of fish and seafood, ice and water. Of course, it’s impractical for the processor to check it, as extra handling would damage the fish and raw material needs to be processed within 24 hours.
SI has developed a clever solution to this dilemma, which we call “backflushing”. Whenever fish and seafood shipments are booked at intake and sorted, our OCMs are programmed to capture all the fine detail. Then, as soon as the processor is ready to generate the purchase order, we backflush the order accordingly to match the finished product.
Take, for example, sea bream:
- The sea bream is booked against the purchase order (PO).
- SI’s cost modelling software calculates that in order to produce 1kg of filleted sea bream, 3kg of fish will be required.
- 3kg of sea bream is logged against the PO.
- In the meantime, an estimated invoice will be provided by the skippers for what’s been caught.
- Cost modelling reconstructs what fish should have come in compared to what’s been provided.
Then, the skipper’s estimated invoice is compared to the actual purchase order and, dependent on the yield, the payment is adjusted. If the yield is poorer than estimated, the skippers will receive a lower payment.Contact us